Point-of-Care Testing Patient Care Services Series: A Guide to Successful Implementation
Credit Hours: 3.25 | Fee: $85.00
Pharmacies provide a convenient setting to conduct health screenings and assist patients in managing their chronic disease states. This is especially true in a community pharmacy where pharmacists are accessible to patients for many health care needs. This series provides training on how to bring a Point-of-Care Testing Service to life. This training includes a description of point-of-care testing (POCT) services, and provides a step-by-step guide in meeting the key requirements to set up, deliver, and evaluate point-of-care services in a Maryland community pharmacy. Other topics include federal and Maryland regulations, permit applications, policies and procedures, marketing, and compensation are presented for the practitioner-manager. Pharmacists who complete this training will have access to web-based resources as well as videos on how to administer common tests. This program is an essential resource for any Maryland pharmacy seeking to establish a new POCT service.
Point-of-Care Testing Patient Care Service: A Guide to Successful Implementation. This module Is applicable nationwide.
- Summarize three benefits to integrating point-of-care testing into a community pharmacy setting;
- Explain the process of maintaining compliance with OSHA, CLIA regulations, and good laboratory practices;
- Design a policy and procedures manual for POCT services at your pharmacy based upon the 7 steps discussed in this course.
- List the 7 components to starting a POCT service in a community pharmacy.
Pharmacist Point-of-Care Testing in Maryland
- Compare the "letter of exception" and "health awareness event" permits in order to identify the differences;
- Correctly describe the Maryland application process to obtain a "letter of exception" permit; and
- Correctly sequence the steps in the Maryland application process in order to obtain a general permit for health awareness events.
CE: 3.25 Contact Hours
UAN: 0025-0000-14-052-H04-P, 0025-0000-14-053-H03-P
Expiration Date: 3/24/2017
Series Number: KE-SN#POCTS01
Instructor: Deanna Tran, PharmD, BCACP, Assistant Professor, University of Maryland School of Pharmacy
This course is sponsored by the Center for Innovative Pharmacy Solutions at the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy.
Click here for additional course details.