Peak Flow & Spirometry for Pharmacists Working with COPD & Asthma
Credit Hours: 1.5 | Fee: $65.00
Peak flow and spirometry readings offer important clinical information for pharmacists caring for patients with COPD and Asthma. When taken in the Asthma and COPD Clinical Pharmacist Certificate Program, this course will provide pharmacists with an appreciation of the use of peak flow and spirometry test results when monitoring drug therapy. In this course, pharmacists will observe both spirometry and peak flow testing, review pulmonary function test results, and be prepared to teach patients how to monitor peak flow at home. At the conclusion of the module, learners will be able to recognize normal spirometry and peak flow readings, instruct patients on proper use of hand-held peak flow meters; and coach patients and caregivers to better monitor peak flow rate at home.
- Accurately measure and interpret peak expiratory flow rate in patients with asthma;
- Counsel patients on correct use of hand-held peak flow meters, including process for home peak flow monitoring;
- Identify normal spirometry results and recognize common basic abnormalities encountered in asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder (COPD);
- Explain when and how pulse oximetry is used and accurately interpret results;
- Accurately triage patients to medical care based on objective findings; and
- Appreciate other pulmonary functions tests commonly encountered in patients with asthma and COPD.
Course Number: KE-CN#RSP007 Course Instructor:Mona Tsoukleris, PharmD, MS, Associate Professor, University of Maryland School of Pharmacy Fee: $65.00 This course is sponsored in part by an educational grant from the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Prevention and Health Promotions Administration: Environmental Health Bureau. Click here for additional course details.